Deansgrange is a suburban area of south Dublin, centred around a crossroads. The area shares the name Clonkeen . The area further east of Deansgrange is known as “Kill of the Grange”.

Kill O The Grange is the unusual name for an area near Blackrock in South County Dublin. The name is taken from the Irish language and means Church of the Granary, as the area was noted for its grain farms which supplied food for the great Monastic foundation of Christ Church Cathedral around which the city of Dublin was built.

Gráinseach an Déin in Irish translates to the ‘The Dean’s Grange’ is a suburban area of south Dublin, which is centred on a crossroads. The Ordnance Survey Ireland map from 1837-1842 shows a ‘Grange Church’ which is now in ruins, surrounded by the housing estate Kill Abbey. ‘Grange House’ was demolished during the building of the South Park Housing Estate. Presumably the dean of the grange lived in ‘Grange House’ and so the area became known as ‘the Dean’s Grange’ and then simply, Deansgrange.


Present Day, the crossroads are the commercial centre for the surrounding housing estates. The commercial centre prides itself on welcoming locals and visitors. There is a vast array of different businesses within Deansgrange providing retail, food and professional service amenities. The R827 road runs roughly north-south through Deansgrange from Blackrock to Cabinteely. South of the crossroads is Clonkeen Road leading to Clonkeen College, while north is Deansgrange Road leading to Deansgrange Cemetery. Kill Lane runs roughly east (to Baker’s Corners crossroads and Kill of the Grange) and west (to Foxrock).


Deansgrange Cemetery is, together with Glasnevin and Mount Jerome, one of the largest cemeteries Dublin and is the burial place of many famous people including Flann O’Brien, Count John McCormack, Frank O’Connor, Eamon Martin, Seán Lemass, Dermot Morgan, Delia Murphy and the Nobel Laureate Ernest Walton. Deansgrange Cemetery also has a wonderful cafe of freshly made soup, sandwiches and delicious cakes.